Saturday, April 6, 2013

New Old Cookbooks

As God is my witness, I'll never go hungry, again!-- Scarlett O' Hara

OK, now that that's out of the way, another new addition to my cookbook collection arrived this week, a reprint copy of the "Gone With the Wind" Cook Book.  The original issue was from 1939, and was offered as a premium for buying Pebeco Toothpaste.

For a promotional cookbook, it offers some surprisingly good interpretations of Southern classics like Brunswick Stew, Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Scrapple and Chicken Fried Steak.  As good as the main dish recipes look, I did find it amusing that the majority of the book, 22 pages, is devoted to Breads, Cakes,  Desserts and Sweets, while the "Vegetables" section contains a scant five recipes, one of which is for Candied Yams and two others are for Fritters.  Gotta love that!  Personally, I can't wait to try the recipes for Lady Baltimore Cake and Sour Cream Cookies.

I got my reprint copy through Amazon for about ten bucks, including shipping, but original editions can be found on Etsy and other sites in the $35 range, so check it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment