Thursday, April 18, 2013

Vintage Recipe of the Day-- 04/18/13

Hi, Folks, sorry about not posting for the past few days, but I've been a bit under the weather, with a backache that felt like I had been beaten, (the wife swears she never laid a finger on me,) and like a lot of people, I've been trying to keep up with the news from Boston, and now Waco.  

My deepest sympathies go out to everyone injured or mourning the loss of a loved one from these tragedies.

What brought me back to the blog, today, was a recipe for something sweet and comforting-- FUDGE.  And how could I not post a fudge recipe that includes vinegar?  From the Heinz Recipe Book, copyright 1939...

Chocolate Fudge

3 tbsp. butter
3 cups sugar
1 tsp. Cider Vinegar
3 tbsp. dark corn syrup
pinch of salt
3/4 cup milk
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate (cut into small bits)
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt the butter, then brown slightly, then add the sugar, vinegar, corn syrup, salt and milk, blending well.  Wipe any sugar from the sides of the pan, then cover and bring to a boil.  Add the chocolate and boil rapidly until it reaches the hard ball stage (236F) then cool to 120F.  

Add vanilla, and beat until candy begins to cream and hold shape.  Quickly pour into a buttered pan, spread to 1-inch depth.  Cut into blocks when firm.  If nuts are desired, add when candy begins to cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment