Friday, April 19, 2013

Vintage Recipe of the Day-- 04/19/2013

Happy news!  This is the first Rosco's Kitchen post from my newly resurrected computer.  A few months ago, I asked our son to put my briefcase, with the computer inside, into my car, while I finished getting ready for work.  I came out of the house a few minutes later and saw him chasing one of our dogs down the road, so I jumped into the car and started backing out of the drive to give him a hand.  I made it about six feet before the car lurched, and I heard a distinct crunching sound. Yes, in his haste to chase the errant dog, he had just dropped my case behind the car and run after her, leaving me to run over it.  Fortunately, the hard-drive was intact and functioning, but the screen was broken and the motherboard was damaged.  The screen was easy to replace, but it's taken me four months to find the correct part, when I have the money, to get the motherboard replaced.  So, let's celebrate with some dessert!

From Good Housekeeping's Party Pie Book, copyright 1958,

Whipped Cheese Pie

1 9" unbaked pie crust
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp. AP flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup evaporated milk
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400F

In a large mixing bowl, beat cheese with an electric mixer until fairly smooth; add egg yolks; beat well.  Stir in sugar mixed with flour and salt; beat until smooth.  Beat in evaporated milk and vanilla.  Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into cheese mixture.  Pour into unbaked pie shell; sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.  Bake at 400F for 10 minutes; reduce temp. to 350F and bake 30 min. longer, or until firm.  Cool on wire rack; refrigerate .



No comments:

Post a Comment